Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:15 AM

2005 Chevy Impala
Repaired by Dman
Charge-Free (Future son-in-law)
Time to repair 3 1/2-4 hours

This car belongs to my future son in law. He and my daughter went to a concert and parked in the wrong spot and it got towed. They went to pick it up and it looked like this.

The body shop estimate was around 1200.00 and the towing company refused to do anything about it. They said that since it was in a parking lot that anyone could have done it. I really wouldn't do something like this for retail because I just don't know if they will come out good enough to charge enough to compensate for the time spent or not. This one did but sometimes they don't. I'd still rather turn them down.

As you can see in this picture, there are a couple of pretty good crowns all around the caved in area.

This picture shows that the lip is pushed in and gives you an idea of the depth of the whole thing.

This dent needed a lot of crown work and pushing with soft tips. The way that I started it was to glue a tab where the blue dot is and hooked up my pulling contraption there to hold some pressure on it while I worked the crowns. I then started working on the crowns starting on the one that was the farthest away and working my way in. The major crowns are highlighted in yellow but there were plenty of crowns to work that weren't very big also.

I also alternated between crown work and soft tip pushes where the green dots are. As they started coming out, the area that is highlighten in orange started coming up with it without even touching it.

Here I am about an hour and a half into the repair. It is finally starting to get somewhere. Still a lot more tapping and soft tip pushing left to go.

This is about 2 1/2 hours into the repair and there is really only one more pretty bad area highlighted in yellow. This is where I believe I screwed up by not concentrating on this area at the same level I was concentrating on the other bad spots. I believe if I had of, I wouldn't have had to fight it so much.

Here I am about 3 hours into the repair and all of the major work is about done. This is where I switched from soft tips to sharper tips and a sharper knock down to start cleaning it up.

She had to go so I didn't get an after shot with the lights on it but I'm going to try to before this article comes out. **Note-I still haven't seen the car but I am still going to try to get pics with the light on it.**

Not 100 percent but about 90. It does have a couple of spots that look a little like cellulite from a few bad pushes but overall it looks good. They were plenty happy and I was too. I think it's because I spent such a long time on it and was just glad to be done.

"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you"

Reply to this topic