No replies to this topic

#1 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 11:48 AM

How to make adjutable handle tools

In this article, I will describe how to make any rod type tool into an adjustable handle tool. Some techs don’t see the need for these, but almost everyone that has tried them notices a big improvement in how long they can work comfortably with one. This type of handle also allows the tech to move it slightly to clear objects such as door frames, inner panels, and wheels etc because the handle can be adjusted out of the way.

This tool will adjust to 24 positions, or every 15 degrees. To adjust them, you just pick up on the handle and rotate it to the position you want, and release it to lock the tool. Unlike other handle designs, the handles stay with the tool and adjust very easily. It is also not necessary to take the tool out of the door to adjust, it can be adjusted while you work. I feel these are more user friendly than the 4 position, or 90 degree adjustable handle tools. Sometimes just a 15 degree adjustment will allow you to work easier because your wrist, elbow, and arm are in a much more comfortable position. The “twist, push” tool movements down doors are easier when you can put the handle where you want it.

I will describe making an adjustable “L” handle tool. This procedure can be changed a bit to make a “T” handle tool also.

The first step is to go to www.mcmaster.com and order as many adjustable machinist handles as you will need. The part number is 6875K111 for a 5/16-18 handle which should be fine for most all tools. A larger handle is available, but in most cases should not be needed, unless you want this handle on a 3/8” or 7/16” diameter rod. If you need a metric version of this handle I believe they are available at Mcmasters also, but you may have to call the company to get them. See pic#1 for a picture of this handle.

To view this article in it's entirety, you must subscibe to the ppv section.
  • pegleg1az likes this

"Accuracy = speed + quality"  "You can't fix what you can't see"

Reply to this topic