#4 JoshG

JoshG

Advanced Member

• PPV
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 27 February 2019 - 12:05 PM

Marty, would this job be a good candidate for a tension pull? https://m.youtube.co...h?v=KjxHxdwYyS0

#5 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

Tension would help some but not a lot. Theres a lot of stuff going on with that repair.

• JoshG likes this

"Accuracy = speed + quality"  "You can't fix what you can't see"

#6 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 19,565 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, IL

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:32 PM

I was thinking the same Marty.  Tension works best on panels like door skins where the inner panels give some.  Plus that quarter panel is so short that your only going to get so much pull in with the impact.  I think that while the repair worked he probably spent 10 times longer pulling than was needed since it was conventional and the whole area was bondo anyway.  Some hammer and dolly on the back edge would have worked better than glue and just tapping the edge like he did in the video.

• JoshG likes this

#7 JoshG

JoshG

Advanced Member

• PPV
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:02 AM

Well if he hadn’t glue pulled as much we wouldn’t get to see all the products that you really NEED for this type of repair 😉 Tim, On that edge would you hammer directly on the dolly?

#8 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 19,565 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, IL

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:31 AM

I would get a dolly up tight in that corner if you can and hammer on the side the bumper attaches.  It would hammer up easier than without the pressure.  I was surprised how much bondo they used.  That told me that they didn't get it as close as they wanted you to believe they did in the video.

• JoshG likes this

#9 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,871 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:53 AM

I was thinking the same Marty.  Tension works best on panels like door skins where the inner panels give some.  Plus that quarter panel is so short that your only going to get so much pull in with the impact.  I think that while the repair worked he probably spent 10 times longer pulling than was needed since it was conventional and the whole area was bondo anyway.  Some hammer and dolly on the back edge would have worked better than glue and just tapping the edge like he did in the video.

Yes you do see the most dramatic results on panels where the inner structure is compressed a bit. But you also see good results on quarter panels and even some fenders and on localized repairs also. Sometimes the damage is very localized but still needs tension to get a fast clean repair. 

• JoshG likes this

"Accuracy = speed + quality"  "You can't fix what you can't see"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Large dent PDR repar, paintless dent repair