"Accuracy = speed + quality"  "You can't fix what you can't see"

#2 Dman

Dman

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 22,307 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

Hinge? Please explain.

Great video and explanation BTW. Thanks!

• chippy likes this

"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you"

#3 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

If your talking about the reference to bodyline hinge. That was covered in the class before we did this video so I can see that may need explaining. When a body line gets impacted (say a dent about 6 inches in diameter) the body line, even when it is pushed out will many times still have what old time panel guys called a hinge on either side of the dent as far as an additional 6 inches from the edge of where the original dent was. That means that the total damaged area of a 6 inch body line dent could be as long as 18 inches. 

So when you get the original 6 inch bodyline dent out you notice that the body line many times really resists coming out that last little bit. That is usually the body line hinge, 4-6 inches either side of the dent holding the last of the dent in.

Now the hinge will not be very visible but it almost always will be a slightly flattened area on this bodyline outside of the damaged area still keeping that last little general low area in the damaged bodyline. So we start about 4-6 inches out from the diameter on either side of where the dent used to be and sharpen the line up all the way into the dent from both sides. When you do this the general low in the bodyline damaged area will easily come up. This explains many times why that soft general low you see in a bodyline after most off has come out, is so hard to push up. It has a long spring on either side of it, hidden in the undamaged bodyline on either side of it, holding it in.

This hinge acts like a long spring inside the bodyline on either side of the damaged area holding the rest of the body line from coming out easily.

If necessary I can draw a pic and post it. Kinda hard to describe without a visual aid.

• FormandFinish and JoeJr like this

#4 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 19,583 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, IL

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:35 AM

I understand what your talking about Marty but like Ricky, I have never heard it called a "hinge"..  Nice video BTW!

#5 FormandFinish

FormandFinish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

You already answered my question! I'll keep an eye out those next time

Killer video, Marty.

#6 spmoylan

spmoylan

• PPV
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

Marty,

In the video the tab you used looked like an oval tab that you trimmed to an arrow. I imagine that is to fit below the crown area. Do you find this works better than an oval tab or a square tab? 

#7 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Sure do. The oval tab many times does not get the pull point Close enough to the top or apex of the crown. That tried down tab will get the pull point right under the top. If your too far away from the top you can pull metal under your tab and you don't want that. This tab is used only to help direct the crown down into the impact area, nothing more.

• Steviboi likes this

#8 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• PPV
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:39 AM

Awesome video ! Thank you Marty for going in depth on the video.

#9 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:56 AM

Your welcome Jeff. Check out the rest of the site also. Theres info here you'll never find any place else. 

#10 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,903 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:41 PM

marty, that was absolutely great.knowing your teachings from discussions and reading so many years i could get exactly what you were explaining.

what about the tab in the boiling water comment?

oh one more thing. "iwill slap it,i will hit it,you've got to abuse it,let it know who's boss" was cool

anything the mind can conceive and believe can be achieved.
http://www.mendadent.net

#11 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

Hey Ron. The boiling water was to heat the oval tabs in, to form a slight V shape to help put pressure on body lines to help the crown move into the body line.

#12 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

• PPV
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:10 AM

Absolutely will do !

#13 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,903 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hey Ron. The boiling water was to heat the oval tabs in, to form a slight V shape to help put pressure on body lines to help the crown move into the body line.

ahh, like we used to do with our old mouth pieces for football.damn, never even crossed my mind.great tip marty. :)

anything the mind can conceive and believe can be achieved.
http://www.mendadent.net

#14 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 10:04 AM

Ya lots of cool shapes you can make with boiling water. I also use my wife oven to anneal aluminum to make stuff for PDR. My wife LOVES IT when I do that!  :)

• ron likes this

#15 Fosterjeff00

Fosterjeff00

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 01:59 PM

Do you recommend a certain master tool
I have been looking for one but don’t know what to get

#16 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 8,895 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Actually I don't recommend that most techs get one as they are hard to find now. Just get a metal slapper or make one out of a wood stir stick as mentioned in the video. The metal one will work better of course but wood is better for techs that are starting out in this.