Repaired by Dman
Charge - 350.00 w/discount
Time to repair 3h15m
This is an 08 Saturn Vue. I looked at it yesterday at one of my bodyshops dirty and in the rain and I grossly underbid it at 350.00. I know better than that but what do you do. I about pooped the drawers this morning when I put the light on it.
I knew this had to be super clean so I decided to remove the door. Thank goodness it was easy. I had the door sitting on the stand in a little under 10 minutes. Here's a couple of views from different angles.
Now to start. I usually start with a knockdown on almost every dent. This one had some pretty good buckles so I decided to push on the low spot under the main one to relieve some pressure and give the metal somewhere to go. Also I was going to try to get the lower body line up a little before I started knocking. After pushing for maybe 2 minutes, the body line popped. I try to never pop a dent but sometimes it just happens.
I started knocking on the biggest buckle. Any time I do larger stuff, I don't ever worry about making anything perfect until the very end. I mainly worry about getting it into the correct shape (or close to it) then I worry about smoothing it out.
Once I got it semi close, I switched to the one going the opposite way.
I then knocked some more here and there. I spent a total of about 40 minutes just with the knockdown. This is what was left. I went ahead and cut 2 glue spots and then started pushing here and there to try to flatten out some of the bigger lows. I would break out the knockdown when I needed it during this stage.
Once I got above the body line looking somewhat decent, I switched my attention to the biggest thing that was left and started trying to get it looking decent.
It didn't take long before I was starting to booger it up. I then walked away for about 15 minutes to regroup and let my head get cleared out. I think walking away sometimes is the best tool we have.
Once I got that looking pretty decent, I started pushing up all the lows that was left and knocking down all of the highs. At this stage, I still am not too worried about making it look perfect, I just wanted to start smoothing it out. I did have to do some minor sanding and buffing around the body line where I boogered it up. I also went ahead and sanded and buffed a small area where I spent a lot of time with the knockdown above a glue spot. All together I only sanded and buffed about 2 square inches in 2 spots.
After I got it pretty slick, I knew I have a couple of waves in it. That's when I moved the light way back and started working on them with a capped rod.
I did drill a hole in the front of the door below the brace to make this part easier. Altogether I drilled that hole, one in the lower corner and one on the bottom of the door.
It's finally starting to look pretty good. I just kept pushing the lows and knocking the highs.
At this point I was calling it done. I plugged the holes polished all the hammer marks. It really looked great. Plenty good enough for any body shop or retail job. There was only one really slight wave in it just above the body line but in all honesty, you had to get on your knees and look pretty good to see it. For what it was, I think it turned out great.
Here's some afters. The white spots that look like lows are where my light wings have dents in them and they were reflecting the fluorescent lights overhead.
In these side shots without a reflection, you can barely make out the slight wave just above the body line but like I said, it was really nothing. Good enough to get paid.
I usually don't work on much of this stuff any more but the last article by Daniel got me excited about this section again. It really wasn't too bad of a job. Like I said it took a total of 3h15m from start to finish and that was including the r&i and a couple of breaks. So except for the fact that I screwed up on the bid, it wasn't a bad morning. I ended up using 2 rods, a whale tail, a 90% flat tool, a hammer and 2 knockdowns on the whole job. Oh yeah, and Mr. Dewalt.