Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:48 PM

Vehicle - 08 Saturn View
Repaired by Dman
Charge - 350.00 w/discount
Time to repair 3h15m

This is an 08 Saturn Vue. I looked at it yesterday at one of my bodyshops dirty and in the rain and I grossly underbid it at 350.00. I know better than that but what do you do. I about pooped the drawers this morning when I put the light on it.

I knew this had to be super clean so I decided to remove the door. Thank goodness it was easy. I had the door sitting on the stand in a little under 10 minutes. Here's a couple of views from different angles.

Now to start. I usually start with a knockdown on almost every dent. This one had some pretty good buckles so I decided to push on the low spot under the main one to relieve some pressure and give the metal somewhere to go. Also I was going to try to get the lower body line up a little before I started knocking. After pushing for maybe 2 minutes, the body line popped. I try to never pop a dent but sometimes it just happens.

I started knocking on the biggest buckle. Any time I do larger stuff, I don't ever worry about making anything perfect until the very end. I mainly worry about getting it into the correct shape (or close to it) then I worry about smoothing it out.

Once I got it semi close, I switched to the one going the opposite way.

I then knocked some more here and there. I spent a total of about 40 minutes just with the knockdown. This is what was left. I went ahead and cut 2 glue spots and then started pushing here and there to try to flatten out some of the bigger lows. I would break out the knockdown when I needed it during this stage.

Once I got above the body line looking somewhat decent, I switched my attention to the biggest thing that was left and started trying to get it looking decent.

It didn't take long before I was starting to booger it up. I then walked away for about 15 minutes to regroup and let my head get cleared out. I think walking away sometimes is the best tool we have.

Once I got that looking pretty decent, I started pushing up all the lows that was left and knocking down all of the highs. At this stage, I still am not too worried about making it look perfect, I just wanted to start smoothing it out. I did have to do some minor sanding and buffing around the body line where I boogered it up. I also went ahead and sanded and buffed a small area where I spent a lot of time with the knockdown above a glue spot. All together I only sanded and buffed about 2 square inches in 2 spots.

After I got it pretty slick, I knew I have a couple of waves in it. That's when I moved the light way back and started working on them with a capped rod.

I did drill a hole in the front of the door below the brace to make this part easier. Altogether I drilled that hole, one in the lower corner and one on the bottom of the door.

It's finally starting to look pretty good. I just kept pushing the lows and knocking the highs.

At this point I was calling it done. I plugged the holes polished all the hammer marks. It really looked great. Plenty good enough for any body shop or retail job. There was only one really slight wave in it just above the body line but in all honesty, you had to get on your knees and look pretty good to see it. For what it was, I think it turned out great.

Here's some afters. The white spots that look like lows are where my light wings have dents in them and they were reflecting the fluorescent lights overhead.

In these side shots without a reflection, you can barely make out the slight wave just above the body line but like I said, it was really nothing. Good enough to get paid.

I usually don't work on much of this stuff any more but the last article by Daniel got me excited about this section again. It really wasn't too bad of a job. Like I said it took a total of 3h15m from start to finish and that was including the r&i and a couple of breaks. So except for the fact that I screwed up on the bid, it wasn't a bad morning. I ended up using 2 rods, a whale tail, a 90% flat tool, a hammer and 2 knockdowns on the whole job. Oh yeah, and Mr. Dewalt.

"I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you"

#2 baxlox

baxlox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Nice work not sure why nobody would comment on this repair maybee as it is an instructable, anyway with these types of repairs they never seem to look like much until you get the liqght onto them, a lot of stretched metal there, after many years of not asking how the dents happened and therefore missing alot of info that would valuable, I urge everyone to find out if possible if the car was moving or stationary or maybe a glancing blow/ strike, side swipe with both vehicles moving.

I  know some will think that it does not matter and we just need to push and knock down, also many take to cutting glue way to early, glad you did not do so in this case, with glancing blow side angle hits like I would like to bet this was it is very important to get back the shape with all glue and bracing intact, many times the door beam will be bent a little and without getting this straight again iht is almost impossible to get rid of all body waves

Basically in a nut shell repairs like this dont look that impresive to most but they are the type of dents that sort the men from the boys, I know this dent could have gone so very wrong for many due to underestimating all the hidden damage, the repair should stand out as an example of when it is best to remove a door and really think the job through, overall a great  job but it could easily have ended up a push to paint for some, maybee with a nice dollop of filler to boot.

just saying and this is only my opinion but hope it helps more people to think through their repairs when the going gets tough

#3 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 19,575 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, IL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

These are previews of the kind of stuff that is in the PPV section.  There are comments about the same article in the PPV.

#4 Dman

Dman

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

The reason that no one has replied here is because this forum was always closed for replies in the other software. I guess those permissions weren't carried over when we switched.

#5 baxlox

baxlox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:40 AM

it has been some time since I have really had time to sit and enjoy the posts here on Doording due to training commitments, i like the new look and if the teething problems are such that you would prefer to go back to older permisions and remove my post please just remove it, i can see good reason for locking down the instructables, maybee i should have asked you if you minded before i gave my two cents, sorry about that.

On a side note perhaps you could tell me a little more about the PPV  my reason for asking is that some years ago i had a subscription and everything was blocked, by that I mean was never sure if PPV meant everything you looked at needed to be paid for separately, I dont want to say I felt conned but rather it was my fault for thinking for a one off payment it just allowed me to post in the PPV but not to see anything (of real interest ) without paying again to see each and every section. hey its no big deal and maybee things that say PPV are just that, you pay to enter and then pay to see each and every thing you see that might interest you.

I am now left thinking that my permisions may have been left blocked apart from being able to see and post in the PPV section, dgging back in my memory ( harder these days ! )  i seem to remember reading a post on deep irregular crease theory, getting part way into the post and then being told it was a PPV, that is wfhat I mean about having to pay to view each post.

The most important thing here is its not the money, just that I have always believed that the PPV section for me at least was locked out to anything interesting apart from being able to post and view comments.

perhaps you could explain what PPV means on your forum, as PPV in the Uk at least means pay per view, so if you want to see something you choose what to watch from a list and then pay to view it.

Is that how your PPV works or do you mean 6 month  or year subscription that gives you access to all areas in the locked out section of the forum.

I know I should have brought this up with you years ago and feel just a little more than a dumb ass now, just that you talking about permissions on the site have got me wondering, how many more subscribers have not bothered to renew due to possible failed permmisions, or at least no clear way of knowing if PPV in your eyes is just an abbreviation for subscription to the hidden or blocked areas for the time paid for 6 months or a year.

sorry for what looks like a rant, its not just having trouble trying to be clear , so you can be clear back.

thanks

#6 Dman

Dman

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 22,306 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

The ppv section is a completely different set of forums. They are not visible until one becomes a member. If you were a ppv member before and read an article that was not complete, you were reading it in this section instead of the ppv section. The partial articles in this section are just an example of the complete articles in the ppv section.

In the menu bar, there is a links selection. In the links selection there is a PPV page that explains what is in the ppv section along with a video about it.

#7 TimC

TimC

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 19,575 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, IL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I want to add something here about the PPV also.  It was started by Dman not to make money off of the forum but because a bunch of the users of the forum wanted it that way.  They feel that they could share more information among each other if each one made a monetary commitment to belong.  The idea was to keep a casual reader that may not even be a full time PDR tech from seeing the information that was being shared between a lot of really great techs.  That is how it was born for just a little history lesson.  :)

• Dent_Smith and AutoCityDents like this

#8 shane jacks

shane jacks

Call me "Hammer"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,846 posts
  • LocationGreenville, Socar

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just pay for the PPV.  It is well worth the money.  Just my .02.

• Tan Huynh likes this
Visit http://www.dentsgonenow.com for the best dent company in our universe

#9 Tan Huynh

Tan Huynh

Tan Huynh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I love you

#10 ron

ron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

tan, we can call you romeo

anything the mind can conceive and believe can be achieved.
http://www.mendadent.net

#11 Tan Huynh

Tan Huynh

Tan Huynh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,107 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC Canada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

Hijackers ! He will beat me up !

#12 Platinum01

Platinum01